Print this page

Pilkington’s Royal Lancastrian Lustre Vase by Gladys Rogers

Stock ref: DS2487

Circa 1914 - 1920

An excellent  Pilkington's Royal Lancastrian Lustre Vase by Glady's Rogers, shape No. 2974 of shouldered form with a loop handle.  Painted with a band of rose flowers on a scrolling, entwined stem in golden lustres on mottled red and yellow lustre background. The interior of the vase with a  streaked dark red glaze. The base impressed with the factory marks and artists cipher.

No known chips, hairlines  or professional repairs.

Established by the Pilkington family in 1892 adjacent to the canal at Clifford Junction, Manchester. Initially known for its tile output the business expanded rapidly under the management of William Burton, formerly a chemist at J. Wedgewood's. An ardent follower of the Arts & Crafts principles he recruited a formidable team of the leading designers, potters and artists around him. Experimentation with complex glazes led to the introduction in 1906 of what has become their most famous and desirable range, the high end Lancastrian Lustre Ware, named after the county of Lancashire, production of which continued until 1938. The company was granted a Royal warrant by King George V in 1913 and their wares were hence known as Pilkington's Royal Lancastrian pottery.

Today it's a number of their skilled artists who developed an international reputation whose work is most highly prized. Most notable amongst them are Gordon Forsyth, Richard Joyce, William S Mycock, Charles Cundall and Gwladys Rodgers, each marking their work with their own distinctive initials.

Size: 14.5(dia) x 11(h)cm

£ 775