Stock ref: DS1544
A superb bespoke made Robert Mouseman Thompson Monks Chair, bespoke commissioned and presented in 1959 by the Thirsk Rural Woodworkers Discussion Group to George Lee MBE, the rear lattice panel bearing his initials GL. First made for Ampleforth College in the 1920s and very popular to this day the Monks Chair has a large curved back with shaped arms supporting, original cow hide leather seat, carved lattice panels and four carved octagonal legs joined by a cross stretcher. There is a carved and dated inscription to the front seat rail to confirm the provenance of the piece shown in the image gallery below. Acquired locally and privately directly from his daughter.
It presents in a wonderful condition following a sympathetic clean and re-wax in our workshop with a superb natural aged depth of colour and patina. The original cow hide has some expected typical light stains and creasing but remains very good and usable, adding to the character of the piece in our view. The original dunlopillo foam under the leather shows the expected age related signs of hardening but, as the leather remains so good, we feel it would be a shame to replace it currently as the leather has to be removed to access the foam.
Size: 61(w) x 52(d) x 79.5(h)cm